Suffering from stomach pain, frequent urination and having mild fever. Any advice?

General Surgeon
Question
I had been suffering from stomach pain after food a couple of days back, had mild fever too and our family doc prescribed with tiniba and sibofix tablets. My fever is gone now but having abdominal cramps now and then and a frequent urge to pass stools (which were not watery though) Kindly advise. I had been taking Ganaton and Omez for GERD
Posted Sun, 6 Jan 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 12 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Such symptoms can be caused by food poisoning, peptic ulcer, gallstones or pancreas disease. As you have had fever, the most probable is food poisoning due to some bacterial or viral infection. This usually causes diarrhea or more frequent bowel movements. Food poisoning can go away in a few days, however in some cases it turns into severe infection. If so, antibiotics might be necessary to get rid of this infection.
Peptic ulcers usually give pain after 1-2 hours of a meal in the upper middle abdomen. In such case it is necessary to have upper GI endoscopy with Helicobacter Pylori test to rule it out.
Gallstones and pancreas diseases usually give upper right abdominal pain radiating to the back with nausea. The symptoms appear after a meal.
It is advisable for you to have abdominal ultrasound, full blood work, liver tests, amylase, bilirubin and urine analysis. Stool tests are also advisable.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Suffering from stomach pain, frequent urination and having mild fever. Any advice? 2 hours later
I had taken ultrasound abdomen scan as a part of corporate health check up 3 months back, everything was normal except "obscure pancreas due to abdominal gas" all other blood tests (complete) were done couple of times and everything was normal, will this result hold good even now or do I have to repeat again?

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 minutes later
Hello!

This ultrasound is up to date if there is about gallstones as these usually does not appear in a few month. Usually it takes years. Ultrasound usually does not visualize pancreas so obscure pancreas is something very common. If it is about your blood tests, 3 months back is quite long time so there could be some changes in it.
I suggest you to have simple blood cells morphology (to see if WBC are elevated) and CRP level. If both results will be in the regular range, upper GI endoscopy should be performed (if you haven't had it recently).
You should also ask your doctor about antibiotics therapy for intestinal infection (Rifaximine 400 mg 3x1 during 7 days for example).

Regards.

Follow-up: Suffering from stomach pain, frequent urination and having mild fever. Any advice? 7 minutes later
Thanks doctor for the advise

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 hours later
You are welcome.