Suffering from stomach infection and diarrhea. Due to lactose intolerance?

hi doc,
my 5 months 3 weeks old baby had been suffering from stomach infection one week back and doc gave antibiotics and also changed his lactogen to zerolac. he was passing stool 10 times a day almost. post zerolac his diarrea reduced and he had been doing well. we shifted him back to lactogen since 2day morning and since then he is again back to diarrhea days. he already passed motion 6 times followed by vomitting. I m keepn him hydrated with sips of ors. want to ask is this due to lactose intolerance? should I switch back to zerolac or continue with lactogen? his stools seem to be slimy have started him with probiotic like econorm 2wice daily.
please let me know is this loose motion could be due to lactose intolerance?
should I switch back to zerolac and stop lactogen completely?
can a combination of zerolac and lactogen be given?

note: he is completely on top feed. have introduced him to rice and cerelac rice.
Posted Tue, 18 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 51 minutes later

I understand your concern.

Since your baby has shown improvement after starting zerolac and symptoms reoccur after stopping.I suggest you to continue with zerolac for some time.

I will not suggest to use combination of lactogen and zerolac.

To confirm if he is lactose intolerant stool examination is required to see for presence of reducing substances.

Continue with oral rehydration solution after each loose stool.
Continue with probiotic as well for few days.
I suggest you to add zinc after consulting your doctor.

Also give him boiled pulses water,coconut water.boiled rice water.

Watch his hydration status,his activity,urine output.

If symptoms persist get him re evaluated by pediatrician for further management.

Hope I have answered your query.If you have any other query I would be glad to help.

God bless!!!