Suffering from stomach infection. Gave antibiotics. Changed lactogen to Zerolac. Suggest

hi doc,
my 5 months 3 weeks old baby had been suffering from stomach infection one week back and doc gave antibiotics and also changed his lactogen to zerolac. he was passing stool 10 times a day almost. post zerolac his diarrea reduced and he had been doing well. we shifted him back to lactogen since 2day morning and since then he is again back to diarrhea days. he already passed motion 6 times followed by vomitting. I m keepn him hydrated with sips of ors. want to ask is this due to lactose intolerance? should I switch back to zerolac or continue with lactogen? his stools seem to be slimy have started him with probiotic like econorm 2wice daily.
please let me know is this loose motion could be due to lactose intolerance?
should I switch back to zerolac and stop lactogen completely?
can a combination of zerolac and lactogen be given?
Posted Tue, 18 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 43 minutes later

Thanks for your query
I can feel your concerns, yes this is lactose intolerance but its transient.

Actually after an episodes of loose motions babies of this age group usually develop transient lactose intolerance which can take one month time to settle.

So I recommend that during this period you should continue feeding him no or low lactose formula milk.

Probiotics are helpful in recovery of loose motions.

Continue with sips of ORS after every loose stools and add zinc supplementation after consulting your doctor.

Hope I answered your query , If you have any other query i will be happy to reply

Wish you and your child good health.

Follow-up: Suffering from stomach infection. Gave antibiotics. Changed lactogen to Zerolac. Suggest 8 hours later
thanks for the response doc. want to ask you during this time should I feed him zerolac or continue with lactogen? will this transient lactose intolerance go away by its own. I am giving him econorm and zinc. I have started him with rice and oats should I continue with that or stop till he fully recovers from this diarrhoea? appreciate ur help.
Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 1 hour later
Thanks for your follow up

You should continue with zero lactose milk till one month and stop the other one.
At this age group you can give him rice but not oat or wheat , these two are added at 7 month of age to avoid allergies associated with them.

Yogurt and banana are helpful in loose motion.

This transient lactose intolerance will go away on its own , nothing to worry about that.

Hope I answered your question , if you do not have any other clarification you can close the discussion and rate my response.

wishing him a speedy recovery