Suffering from stomach flu. Experiencing nausea and flatulence. What should I do?

Dec 2012

i suffered from the stomach flu last friday, last night it finally subsided. it is now sunday evening and i am experiencing nausea and flatulence. is there anything i can do? i have only had broth, and small breakfast., hours ago.the category is post virus symptoms of nausea and flatulence.
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Thank you for the query.

You are on the recovery face of stomach flu and if you did not receive any specific treatment while suffering from the illness, I'll suggest a stool exams (+culture) be done to determine specific causative germs.

Give yourself a couple of days to recover or you visit a gastroenterologist or GP if you feel worried. They will probably just reassure you or do a stool exams and other laboratory test to try determining the cause of the stomach flu. I would also suggest the use of pre and probiotic regularly to assist the process of recovery.

Hope this helps and wish you a quick recovery...
Let me know if you have other clarifications.

Dr Nsah
Follow-up: Suffering from stomach flu. Experiencing nausea and flatulence. What should I do? 12 hours later
lastnight, sunday i chose oatmeal out of shear hunger and it went through me. this morning i had the same experience. can i take an immodium for relief. please explain "pre and pro biotic.
i just wrote it. last night out of hunger i chose oatmeal, to my great regret. this a.m. back to square one. can i take an immodium for relief. and what are pre and probiotics?
ho wmany times must i write the question? can i take an immodium after an episode last night from eating oatmeal? what is pre and probiotic?
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later

Sorry for the delay. You are probably suffering from glucose intolerance ( oatmeal causing diarrhea??). Immodium is a medication used against diarrhea. You can take it to alleviate the symptom. Prebiotics are non-digestible food ingredients that stimulate the growth and activity of bacteria that live naturally in the intestines and are believed ( but not yet scientifically established) to have beneficial health. Sources include soyabeans, raw oats, wheat, inulin sources, raw garlic, onions etc. While probiotics are live microorganisms that promote the growth of other intestinal natural bacteria. Usually found in fermented foods such as yogurts.

Hope this answers your questions.

Dr Nsah