Suffering from stiff neck, back pain, dizziness, vomiting and numbness in hands. Required treatment?

ENT Specialist
Question

For last six days I am suffering from below SYMPTOMS:
1) Slight Stiffness in neck and Back and a feeling as if muscles are being stretched and it feels as if muscles are being pulled from the center of my back.
2) Very mild sweet pain on the back of head when I do some movement.
3) Keep feeling dizzy and a feeling to Vomit every time I feel more dizzy.
4) Slight pressure in my right year since yesterday.
5) Sometimes, I keep feeling tingling numbness in my left hand.
6) Pain is not severe.
7) I can move my head both ways but, feel nauseated when it reaches extremes and pressure in back of head.
8) No Fever.

I did not have any accident. But around 8 days Ago I had felt a sudden lock in my neck when I was Yawning lying in bed, and after few movements it went away.
Then 7 days ago, I thought of restarting Yoga after many months, and did Shirshasana.
One day after that I started feeling dizzy and tightness in my back head and also felt that my shoulder muscles feel slight stiffness.
I went to a hospital, and they gave a painkiller injection and referred me to an Orthopedist.
Next day I went to the Orthopedist and he asked me to get some Physiotherapy sessions.
5 Days back I had my first Physiotherapy session where they gave me some electrical nodes massage, some ultrasound thing, some heat lamp and hand massage.
After the session the symptom became more worse, and I even started feeling pain in my neck, but the Physio had already told me that this would happen after first session.
Next day, I had my second session and thing became worse later that day.
So, I went to the hospital again as I constantly have that tightness and dizzy feeling in the back of my head. they consulted my Ortho, and did a blood test. The Blood Test Reports were normal, and they gave me some medicine for vertigo.
Today I again went to my Ortho and he asked me to continue my Physio sessions.
So, I had them again.

The problem is that, I am still having that feeling of dizziness in my back head, and when I turn my head around, I feel more dizzy.

What should I do in this case? I could handle any pain, but this mysterious feeling doesn't let me do anything properly.

Reports:
1) Fever >> No
2) Blood Test Report:
WBC - 7.95
RBC - 4.93
HGB - 15.1
HCT - 43.6
MCH - 30.6
MCV- 88.4
MCHC- 34.6
PLT- 236
Neutrophils-46.5
Lymphocytes - 44.8
Monocytes-5.7
Eosinophils-2.6
Baseophils-0.4

I am just worried, because of all this dizziness, and the time its taking.

Thanks and Regards,
XXXXXX
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Get Cervical Spine and Thoracic Spine X-rays done. There seems to be a spasm of the neck muscles after the episode of stretching while yawning in bed.

2. A muscle relaxant may help. A trial may be taken keeping in mind that your feel worse after physiotherapy.

3. If the dizziness is positional (while lying down or getting up -against gravity) it may be be BPPV (Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo) after a Shirshasana. Dizziness due to the ear is rotatory spinning (true vertigo). Nystagmus (abnormal eye movements seen in dizziness) can only be checked under direct examination.

4. if you have only imbalance and not spinning vertigo, there may be a vascular compression (tingling and numbness in the left arm), acid reflux and so on. Get a Neck Vessel Doppler Study done.

5. Nausea, vomiting and fullness in the ears may be a sign of Meniere's disease. Do you have any fluctuating hearing or tinnitus? Get a Impedance Audiogram (Tympanometry) done. An ear examination is necessary.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Suffering from stiff neck, back pain, dizziness, vomiting and numbness in hands. Required treatment? 12 minutes later
Hi Doctor,

Thank you for your reply.
As for your questions:
1) I do not feel like anything is spinning. I just feel like I'll fall down or will Puke and very uneasy
2) I do not feel fluctuating hearing or tinnitus. I just feel that my right year has some pressure.

Another question is, Which doctor should I consult further:
ENT Specialist
Orhto
or
Neuro

Thanks and Regards,
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 9 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

1. If you have only imbalance, ear problems are unlikely.

2. It is better to get all three opinions as your symptoms do not fit into any specific pattern. The above mentioned investigations will help.

Regards.

Follow-up: Suffering from stiff neck, back pain, dizziness, vomiting and numbness in hands. Required treatment? 2 days later
Hi Doctor,

I went to an ENT specialist and he performed some Audiogram test and few other tests, and they all came to be normal. But, still I have this feeling. Though its less now(probably because of the medications he gave to me) but, yesterday it was again the same.

Please suggest

Thanks and Regards,
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 21 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Since all your ear tests are normal, ear problems are unlikely.

2. You should get these X-ray's and Neck Doppler done.

3. It is good to hear that the dizziness is under control.

Regards.