Suffering from sore throat, dry nose, bleeding. Causes?

Hi for the last 2 days ive developed a soar sensation in my throat either my glands or my tonsils cant really work out were the ache is comming from. My problem is if I spit theirs just spit, if I blow my nose theirs nothing really because my nose is dry but if I sniff up and spit my spit becomes quite red from blood. Whats causing this has ive never experienced this before?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 2 hours later

Generally a sore throat could mean an underlying infection. Tonsiilltis, pharyngitis, laryngitis being the most common causes.
Apart from infection, allergy secondary to dust or pollen or any other specific allergies may have also be a cause. Similarly other preexisting conditions such as sinusitis or an ear infection or even a common cold as well can lead to a throat infection.

This presents with sore throat, difficulty in swallowing, post nasal drip which comes out as spit from the nose to your throat.

Sometimes , if the allergy/ the infection is severe causing a swollen tonsil or surrounding structure irritations, there may be some amount of bleeding as well.

Any tumors, swelling , high blood pressure, may be the other causes. However such conditions are relatively very rare.

I suggest you to do salt water gargles as often possible. The gargles will reduce the congestion in throat and the bleeding as well.

Give enough voice rest and do not strain your voice.

You may take an analgesic like TAB PARACETOMOL/TYLENOL 500 mg for throat pain

I would also ask you to visit an ENT surgeon for an examination, if needed a course of antibiotics may be prescribed to you.

If you wish to clarify any more doubts, you could write back to me , I will be there to answer the same.

Disclaimer: The information on this email and portal is provided for general informational purposes only and SHOULD NOT be relied upon as a substitute for sound professional medical advice, evaluation or care from your physician or other qualified healthcare provider as a complete assessment of an individual has not taken place. Nothing on this email and website should be used for treating or diagnosing a medical or health condition. This is not a replacement for Doctor - patient relationship and physical examination by other qualified healthcare provider.