Suffering from sore throat. Could this be due to streptococcal infection?

I have had a bad sore throat for a couple days. Yesterday being the worse! I was up all night and felt like my throat was closing up. Scary. NO FEVER though. Today it feels much better although I have a headache at the top and back of my head. And feel tired. Throat just moderately sore now but much better. My kids had strep a few weeks ago and i got swabbed back then and was fine. Could this be strep? Ive had tonsils out when i was small but know i can still get it. My doctors appointment isnt til the 27th! So im concerned because my 7 year old was hospitalized with scarlet fever and i worry about that. Im a 40 year old female, can strep go away on its own? How much should i worry about rheumatic fever if im already diagnosed with auto-immune disease?
Posted Wed, 8 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Adults are much immune than kids Detailed Answer: Hi I understand your concerns about fear about the strep sore throat. There is still a high possibility that you might have contracted sore throat from a virus than streptococcal sore throat. For the chances of strep sorethroat in adults are just 10 to 15% unlike children is up to 50%. The incubation of strep sore throat is just three days to one week post exposure. Since your kids suffered few weeks back it may be a different organism than strep. I suggest you to following remedies till the time you get to a doctor. Most likely you may not require a doctor as it clears before 27th. If not you have the appointment anyway. 1) Prepare Warm water with 1 tsp of salt - Gargle once every 6 hours. 2) Tablet ADVIL up to 400mg if your body aches. If it is just headache TYLENOL is better. 3) Increase the fluid intake by one litre than your usual intake. You can take warm tea with lemon and honey instead of milk. That is a good tip. 4) Rest and have hot food. Meantime if you are breathless and/or fever over 102 with chills and rigors please see at the ER for antibiotic shots. Rheumatic fever(RF) is different from autoimmune rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Rheumatic fever is inflammatory reaction to strep sore throat. RF affects children not adults so no worry. All the best and good health.