Suffering from sinusitis and bronchitis. Is it safe to use ghee instead of oil?

Sep 2012

I am an allergic patient with both Sinusitis and Bronchitis tendencies. Recently i went to a doctor and he advised me to move from eatable oil to Home made GHEE to boost my immunity . He says Ghee(Pure and Home made) and Amla attacks on immunity level directly and can have good effects on fight against antigens. I want a second opinion on that. Is suitable(and appropriate) usage of Ghee instead of Oil can help us better? . How is Ghee different and better than cooking oil? Does Ghee boost up immunity level? What type of Ghee is good for health?
Posted Mon, 19 Nov 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 3 hours later

Firstly in allergy, your body produces antibodies against common antigens. In normal person , body does not do these things. Whether a person will be hypersensitive or not , depends totally on the genetic susceptibility of that particular person.
From the above discussion, it is clear that allergy or hypersensitivity does not depends on your immune system but it depends on the defect in production of antibodies. Persons having hypersensitivity, many times have family history of allergy.
Now, you have history of recurrent sinus infection. Infection by a bacteria or other microbial agent depends on the Immune status of the person. If you have a strong immunity, then it is very unlikely to get any infection. Some vitamins like vitamin C and E are essential to enhance immunity. Vitamin E is a fat solube vitamin and C is found in amla, fresh fruits, in large amount.
Now ghee is nothing but a solid form of fatty acids. So, it contains fat which is a XXXXXXX source of vitamin A, D, E, K.
Now I am giving answers of your questions one by one.
1. Suitable use of ghee instead of edible oil is not ideal. You can take small amount of ghee, during every meal. But as it contains fat and cholesterol, using ghee instead of oil will be risky. Because in this 30 year of age, you should concentrate on your lipid profile of blood in place of allergy. Because an increased intake of these fat snd cholesterol XXXXXXX diet may predispose to coronary heart disease.
So, you can take the ghee as I mentioned. It will definitely help you.

2. No, ghee is not better than edible oil. Use of sunflower oil for cooking is best. You can see the difference yourself. Just go to any shop, take sunflower oil and ghee, read the nutrition chart. You will see that first one contains lower cholesterol, low saturated fat than the second. Cholesterol and saturated fat are the main causative agent of coronary heart disease.
So, ghee is not better than edible oil.

3. As I previously told, ghee can boost the immunity. But do not take ghee in large amount like cooking with ghee. It will be harmful. Take in restricted way, as I previously told. One more point is, ghee will not help in your allergy. It will boost your immunity, to fight against infection.

4. Home made ghee is best. Because, in ghee available in market, you can find dalda which is more XXXXXXX

Summary - though homemade ghee can boost your immunity, you have to take it in restricted way. Ghee is not better than edible oil.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know if you have any more question.