Suffering from sinusitis. X-ray, cat scan done. Found cloudy mass in sinus. Cancer?

ENT Specialist
Hi I am so worried today after a year and a half of my husband having problems with his sinuses the results from the second xray dr said he needs a cat scan as they found a cloudy mass in his sinus I didn't go with him today and I am scared it is cancerous or something what do you think
Posted Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to H.C.M. for your query regarding sinus problem of your husband. As you said that he is suffering from sinusitis for last one and half year but not relieved of symptoms and his second X-Ray of sinuses is also showing claudiness so your doctor wants C.T.scan of sinuses. This is not an indication for worry untill any serious situation is reported.

Here I would like to tell you that C.T.scan is a good diagnostic tool and this will give detail informationof sinuses.By the C.T.scan we can know -

(1) How many sinuses are involved.

(2) Is the claudiness is due to- Thickening of mucus lining / Collecton of fluid in sinus / Mass in sinus / Polyp in sinus / cyst (dentgerous cyst) in sinus.

(3) Patency of osteomeatal opening.

(4) Bony outline is intact or erroded.

Only this last finding indicate cancer, So don't worry for investigation, because after C.T.scan your doctor can know about stage of sinusitis in your patient better so will manage better.Unfortunately if it comes out cancer than also treatment may be directed to correct direction for better result.

So please go ahead.

With Regards.