Suffering from sinusitis. Taking corticoid and azithromycin. Is there any permanent cure?

ENT Specialist
I have allergy , I have just take corticoid and azithromycin but I still have a sinusite , production of mucus is very hight I was coughing a lot but already decreased
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 7 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. There is no cure for allergy, however, it may be controlled. Avoiding the allergens is the most important issue.

2. For controlling dust mites, change your mattress and pillow, if possible. Use special anti-dust mite covers, change bed sheets and pillow covers daily. Reduce fabric and carpet use in the house and bedroom. Vacuum the bedroom daily.

3. Get food intolerance testing done. This helps identify the exact food stuff that you may avoid.

4. Get an ENT examination done to rule out any DNS (Deviated Nasal Septum). Did you have fever? Using a steroid under antibiotic cover (azithromycin) is fine. Request our doctor to prescribe an anti-histamine, an anti-leukotriene and a mucolytic. Take regular steam inhalation. A cough syrup may help till the cough subsides.

5. If your sinusitis attacks are recurent, get a plain CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) Scan done on a multi-slice CT Scan Machine with 1 mm coronal, axial and sagittal cuts.

6. Routine blood tests help rule out eosinopilia.

7. Further treatment may be planned as per the results of the above tests.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.