Suffering from sinusitis. Getting pain in ear with significant hearing loss. What's wrong?

ENT Specialist
I have a case of sinusitis that caused the left nostril of my nose to close. I blew hard trying to open it and that is when I suddenly felt pain in my left ear. The pain got worse and I now have significant loss in my ear. Could I have ruptured my ear drum or caused any permanent damage?
Posted Sat, 16 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 2 hours later

I have gone through your query regarding sudden loss of hearing in your left ear after blowing hard to open left nostril, which was already closed due to sinusitis.

Considering all aspect of your query, it appears that higher air pressure in your nasopharynx (area of throat behind the nose) had forcibly entered to left ear via Eustachian tube thus giving rise to severe pain, probably hurt your eardrum, and causing hearing loss.

You are advised the following basic investigations -

(!) C.T.scan paranasal sinuses,
(2) Audiometery (pure tone & Impedance)
(3) Culture and sensitivity of nasal swab.

After this, a thorough clinical examination is must to collect physical findings and after their co-relation with inferences of investigations, one can reach to final diagnosis and may be plan for treatment.

I hope you are now clear about your query. I you have doubts, if any, you may contact again without any hesitation.

Follow-up: Suffering from sinusitis. Getting pain in ear with significant hearing loss. What's wrong? 1 hour later
Thanks a lot Dr. Srivastava:

Should I be concerned of any permanent loss due to damage to the ear drum. Typically when you refer to damage to ear drum, does that necessarily need a perforation, and can that perforation typically heal, or once its ruptured its permanent?

Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 6 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

Please don't worry. Usually such type of perforation heals well by conservative treatment, using antibiotics, anti-inflammatory, antihistaminics, nasal decongestants and steam inhalation. Don't use any ear drop. In cases of acute perforation, ear drops are strictly contraindicated. It will be better to consult an E.N.T.specialist for a thorough clinical examination of your ear and to measure the approximate size of perforation. Also find out the amount and type of hearing loss, because all these parameters are to be consider in planning for the treatment your associated problem of sinusitis with nasal obstruction. Otherwise such incidences will recur again.

Under the supervision of a specialist, you will get excellent result. And if no complication arises, you will recover in about two to three weeks time.