Suffering from sinusitis. Feeling lethargic, breathless and flatulence. No relief from antibiotic. Cause and cure?

ENT Specialist
Hello Doctor,
I have been suferring from sinusitis for the past few years. My head pains and I feel very lethargic. Breathing is heavy and at time I feel breathless (specially while having food). After undergoing medications the thick yellow discharge has stopped. But the nose feels blocked and I have to spit out the discharge in my mouth after every meal. Antibiotics dont seem to be effective now. I also suffer from flatulence. Can you please tell me what could be the possible cause for the same and recommend a soution. I stay in Mumbai, can you suggest a good doctor.
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 4 hours later

Thanks for posting the query

The symptoms mentioned by you such as lassitude, headache, heaviness of the head and breathing difficulty are the features of chronic sinusitis.

Appropriate, potent and broad spectrum antibiotic when taken for 10-14 days can give you relief from the symptoms. Apart from this, you need to take few more medicines such as:
1. A mucolytic (bromhexine or ambroxol) to reduce the consistency of the secretions.
2. Saline nasal spray for 3-4 days followed by steam inhalation to open up the sinuses and clearing of the nasal and sinus secretions.

Also, you need to drink plenty of warm water; avoid coffee, chilled food and beverages and smoking. These above mesaures are very important and beneficial in the management of chronic sinusitis.

If you are not improving with the above measures, you need to get a CT scan of nose and para nasal sinuses done to assess the anatomy of the sinuses, and disease extent.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Suffering from sinusitis. Feeling lethargic, breathless and flatulence. No relief from antibiotic. Cause and cure? 5 hours later
Thank you very much Dr. XXXXXXX

Can you please suggest me some medications (broad spectrum antibiotic, mucolytic, Saline nasal) and the dosage and period of use. If the problem still persists I would undergo a CT scan of the nose and para nasal sinuses. Is the flatulence a result of chronic sinusitis.

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 17 hours later

Thanks for writing back

Antibiotics such as (1) combination of amoxycillin and clavulanic acid or (2) cefuroxime would be the right choice for treating sinusitis and it has to be taken for at least 10-14 days. A mucolytic such as bromhexine or ambroxol is also very helpful. I am sorry, I cannot mention about the dosage or duration in the online consultation, as it is against the online consultation policy.

Flatulence could be indirectly related to the swallowing of excess of air because of the nasal block and there is no enough evidence to prove the same.

If your problems are not improving you can consult Dr. XXXXXXX Kirtane, ENT specialist at Hinduja or Breach candy hospital.

Wish you good health and good luck.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon