Suffering from sinus and asthma. Veins changes its colour and size. What is wrong with veins?

I am a 44 year old woman with no history of heart problems, or any other serious diseases or injuries. The only health related issues I have to deal with are a few sinus infections each year, and asthma. - Three weeks ago, I noticed the veins on the right side of my chest - from just above my breast to the base of my neck, were unusually prominent. I have very fair skin, and my veins have always been somewhat visible. But, this was different. The veins were not bulging and the surface of my skin was still smooth. But, the veins were 10 times darker than normal. As if someone had taken a royal blue sharpie and traced my vein pattern. The problem seemed to begin at a small bruise, the size of a quarter - and radiate upwards. - I am a pastry chef and been very busy the day before preparing a large cake. I assumed that I had injured myself lifting the cake. I didn't remember hitting my chest while working, but, it is possible that I did, and was so busy I didn't notice. - A week later, I became very concerned. The small bruise had healed/vanished. But, the veins on the upper right side of my body were still incredibly dark. And - the veins in my right arm were now also very dark, bright blue. And, if I did any work, my right arm and hand would swell to twice the size. I made an appointment with my doctor. He said he thought I may have a XXXXXXX vein thrombosis, and ordered a Venous Doppler. I find it a bit concerning that he thought I may have a blood clot in my upper body, but, did not order the test STAT. But, whatever. Two weeks later, Oct 22, I had the exam. The technician at the hospital could not tell me about the results, of course. And, I didn't even ask. But, he did volunteer that - I could take it as a good sign that he was not admitting me. He said a cardiologist would review the test and contact my dr. I was to hear about it yesterday. But, I did not. I have contacted my dr's office this am, and they said that I do not have a XXXXXXX vein thrombosis, and not to worry. What does that even mean? If I do not have a dvt, great! I don't want one. But, what is wrong with my veins? - Looks like I'm going to have to seek a 2nd opinion. But, I'd like to know what I may be dealing with? What sort of dr should I see? What could this problem be? - Thanks.
Posted Tue, 13 Nov 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Geoffrey Ward 27 minutes later
Hello and thank you for your question,

I can understand that having veins change in colour or size can be concerning. XXXXXXX vein thrombosis is scary and can cause heightened anxiety and concern. It is good to hear this is not what you have. But the episodes of arm swelling also can cause anxiety.

The swelling in the arm can be caused by an unrelated issue. Most time when extremities swell like this it is usually caused by edema - such edema can be related to infections, venous / lymphatic disorders, trauma and even stress. You need an experienced vascular surgeon to perform a detailed physical examination to rule out the aforementioned conditions. I recommend searching for one in your area and inquire with them to be seen for an evaluation. They can be searched through Google, Bing or the Yellow Pages. Sometimes you need a referral by your primary doctor to be seen by one.

Unfortunately without proper evaluation, I cannot diagnose you over the internet, but I recommend being seen by a specialist for proper evaluation.

In the interim it is advisable to avoid strenuous activities involving the right upper limb and to keep the limb elevated above the heart at times when it is swollen.

Best wishes, good health and I hope I answered your question to your satisfaction. I am available to address any other concerns that you may have.

Follow-up: Suffering from sinus and asthma. Veins changes its colour and size. What is wrong with veins? 1 hour later
Thank you. Good info. I will contact my dr. for a referral.
Answered by Dr. Geoffrey Ward 3 hours later
Very good, please do not hesitate to ask any further questions if you may have them.

I am available to address any other concerns that you may have.