Suffering from shoulder pain for. ECG scan showed normal. What is causing this and the cure?

my mom is experiencing left hand shoulder pain for the past 2 days,
few weeks ago she has taken ECG but it was normal
now she is unable to bear the pain
what could be the cause
Posted Sat, 4 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 27 minutes later

There could be various reasons other then heart problems in her case for pain.

The common ones are:
1. Nerve compression
2. Age related arthritis
3. Some sprain or pressure on the joint due to movements
4. Some infection in joint

Please take her to your family physician who can examine her and look for the cause in general. After examination if he feels he may refer her to orthopedic surgeon for examination.

Please do not ignore this pain.

In mean time you can apply any local analgesic cream and ask her to five rest to the part and avoid putting strain on the joint.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to ask again if you have something more to ask.

Wishing her good health.

Follow-up: Suffering from shoulder pain for. ECG scan showed normal. What is causing this and the cure? 16 minutes later
but she has a hypo thyroid & left hand and shoulder pain. Has it got something to do with heart attack?
Follow-up: Suffering from shoulder pain for. ECG scan showed normal. What is causing this and the cure? 13 minutes later
her recent reports diagnosed
cervical spondylosis with brachial neuralgia
fibroid uterus
over weight
hypo thyroidism

kindly suggest what has to be done
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 10 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

I think we have the reason for her pain. That is cervical spondylosis leading nerve compression.

Please get in touch with orthopedic surgeon/spine surgeon with the advise from your doctor.

She will need some medications and later on needs do some regular physiotherapy to have relief.

You are right that pain on left side may be due to heart problem but as her recent ECG is unremarkable and we have some obvious reason for pain, in such case cardiac problem seems less likely.

I hope this clarifies your concern.