Suffering from shoulder pain. Working on computer for a long time. Tried physiotherapy. Cure?

I am 39 year old male working infront of computer(8 hours/ day).
I’ve been suffering from shoulder blade pain for 6 years already and I can’t certainly pinpoint the root cause of the pain.
I joined badminton club, did yoga, went to cheropactor, physiotherapy and all. but not successful.
if i take physiotherapy( they rub their elbow on pain area)one or two days , i feel ok. and if i return to work, it starts aching in the evening.
some doctors say, it is muscular pain, some say myofascial pain syndrome, trigger points and some dont know what exactly.
I underwent some medications and a few therapies. But just after a few days, the shoulder blade pain comes back.
please tell me how can i come out from this cronic pain?
where can i find trigger point injection doctors in bangalore?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 1 hour later

Currently, your physiotherapist is practicing a modified version of trigger point therapy. Since you are getting relief by this practice (even though it's short lived), it points to the fact that the pain is related to trigger points in you.

Further, trigger points are localized, hyperirritable spots within a skeletal muscle and frequently accompany chronic musculoskeletal disorders. Since you're working in front of the computer for 8 hours, it is producing additional stress.

I would suggest that you maintain a proper posture while working. That should produce some relief. This link will provide you a demonstration on how to sit properly in front of a computer. Please visit WWW.WWWW.WW

Treatment of trigger points involves the Spray and Stretch technique, ultrasonography and manipulative therapy and injection. These injections have been found to be one of the most effective ways of treatment.

Spray and stretch technique involves spraying of ethyl chloride. Manipulative injections of local anesthetics (local numbing agents), saline and steroids are often used.

Trigger point therapy is now available at Centre for musculoskeletal pain, RSI and arthritis. Please visit for more details.

I hope I have answered your query. I shall be available for follow up queries.

If you do not have any follow up queries, please accept my answer.

Follow-up: Suffering from shoulder pain. Working on computer for a long time. Tried physiotherapy. Cure? 8 hours later
is this same as pinched nurve ? becoz sometimes i feel like sharp pin press pain just below my shoulder blde. what are the exercises for this pain?
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 10 hours later

Thanks for getting back to us.

No, trigger points are not the same as a "pinched nerve". As I explained, trigger points are localized spots which are highly irritable (that means it will hurt when you touch them). There is no exercise as such which will relieve the pain caused by trigger points. A pinched nerve will typically not cause chronic pain.

The therapy that I had explained earlier is used for treating the pain caused by trigger points. Please get yourself treated for the same.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.