Suffering from short term memory loss. Alzheimer's disease or any other serious neurological illness?

Nov 2013

I think I am having a short memory. This has been the thing from my childhood and right now I am 37. The thing is I forgets most things when it is needed and things just after I am indulging with it! But I do remember them after a while and will be searching for a solution due to what that has happened. For example, yesterday I just remembered everything while closing my office, put everything in place before closing the office forgot to shut the computer or to take the key!! Then I went to take my bike, put on the key and remembered that I have to purchase something back home. I went for purchase and while going back to my bike remembered that I I don't have taken the key with me!! Is this a disease? Or am I on to the way to some illness like Alzheimer's? Or is this a problem with the co ordination of brain, may be because of which I am having problem with mathematics from childhood? My child is 4 and is also not so good at understanding things quickly. For example, he is still not able to wear his sandals correctly! He often messes up with 'P' and 9 and things like that! He is not ready to listen to a thing more often! Does this has anything to do with brain? Can we guide him in the right path? Doctor, Please give me an answer here or at YYYY@YYYY
Posted Mon, 25 Feb 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that your symptoms are not suggestive of Alzheimer's disease (AD) or any other seriou neurological illness.

It may be related to stress or excessive work load or doing several things at the same time.

Lack of sleep and rest could contribute to memory lapses. So, please ensure adequate sleep of 7-8 hours every night.

Please check for deficiecy of vitamin B12 and thyroid disease as they are important causes of memory loss in the young.

Regarding your child, he could be having a milder form of dyslexia or learning disability (remember Darsheel of Taare Zameen Par movie). With proper guidance and profession help of child psychologists, your child can do very well.

You can ask me more queries if you have. I will send you some more info on your email.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX consultant Neurologist
Follow-up: Suffering from short term memory loss. Alzheimer's disease or any other serious neurological illness? 22 hours later
Sir, thanks for ur reply. But let me tell you that I am suffering seriously due to this! My job is mostly related to accounts and hence it is itching me that I am not getting things done properly due to this memory. Does any mental exercise can help along with the rest u mentioned? I do get my word slipped while speaking also! Does this has to do anything with memory loss? I suspect a pre diabetic stage as my hands do shiver while approaching mid day and having break fast only! I usually take little water and is slightly obsessed. I am 189 cms and 93 Kgs. Does this is a concern to my health? I am a little slow with my activities and thought process from my childhood! I do wonder about the fastness and accuracy of people's thought process and activities and is a bit sad that I am no where near! I am not able to write things in brief and always express things in a round about way! can I improve on this if it is not a problem with my brain? However let me tell u that I am not that bad as I am in State service after passing through number of tests with distinction, but simply due to my hard work! May be I have taken more time to my studies than a normal person will do!! Regarding my child, let me tell u that though he is vulnerable with confusing things or is bad in distinguishing differences between relative things, something I am also prone to, he is not that bad at studies with learning as he knows alphabets, both capital and small to write them without mistakes and is good enough to write numbers up to 30 without much fuss! The only problem is he takes much time than normal and is not attentive! May be he has other areas of interests as u pointed out! But I certainly feel that he is not that bad for a 4 and half year old. Please reply me with ur openions and suggestions to rejuvenate my life as I will be sharing good responsibility in future and I don't want my colleagues to suffer due to my lack of memory! Please pardon me to make this statement such a large exercise as I feel free now to have discussed my concerns with an expert!
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 18 minutes later
Thank you for getting back with more details.

The fact that you are doing well in your career and have reached a position where you are now, proves that you have an EXCELLENT brain and definitely you have no dementia.

Solving crossword puzzles, sudoku, etc are good exercises for brain.

Reducing your weight a bit and doing regular physical exercises are also useful.

You can do glucose tolerance test (GTT) to diagnose early or mild diabetes.

Regarding your child I am not concerned as he is within normal limits. He may require some guidance though.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)