Suffering from shooting pain on wrist. Have swelling and redness. What can be done?

My wrist has been hurting for a few months now. I thought the pain would go away or even get better, but I am not getting any better. The pain isn't consistent, but occurs multiple times a day with certain activities. When I get the pain it is a sudden onset that is triggered by movement of my wrist in some way. It gets so painful that my wrist will completely give out and have shooting pain. The pain and soreness lasts between 10 minutes to 2 hours.The only time it swells is when I have those sudden attacks of pain and it gets a little red and only a little inflamed looking. It is not very noticeable and doesn't last that long. It has become an annoyance to have to grab my wrist in pain on a daily basis.
Posted Fri, 12 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

I appreciate your detailed description of the pain. In case you have had a recent history of any trauma, this could explain the pain. In case its a pain of gradual onset, its to be seen from a different angle. It might however be interesting to know whether you experience any fevers, or any pains in any other joint of the body or not?

Without a history of trauma, and accompanying swelling from time to pain, it should be a pain of inflammatory origin. An erythrocyte sedimentation rate and C reactive protein levels could be important in justifying and proving the presence of an ongoing inflammatory process in the body. Raised values of these parameters should elicit active search for the cause. A complete blood count with raised neutrophils (phagocytic blood white blood cells) should raise suspicion of a bone infection. An X XXXXXXX of the wrist could give a very big insight.

An ignored silent fracture or simply some sprains can be seen in some rare cases. De mineralization lesions shall be suggestive of autoimmune immune diseases or systemic diseases. Lesions suggestive of a bone infection or a tomor (osteosarcoma) would be observed if present.

A complete clinical examination, preferable by an orthopedic surgeon could be very appropriate. Blood tests, an X XXXXXXX coupled with this clinical review should be sufficient in making an appropriate diagnosis. This could range from an ignored traumatic lesion to an autoimmune or systemic disease, a bone infection (osteomyelitis), or in rare case cases, a bone tumor usually an osteosarcoma which is seen in young people.

Thanks and hope this helps as I wish you the best of health, Feel very free asking further questions if need be. I would be honored making suggestions.

Kind regards,

Bain LE, MD.