Suffering from shivering with high fever, headache. Diabetic, high BP and uric acid, under medication. Suggest?

My father Sh. Radhey XXXXXXX XXXXXXX M 61,Indian suffering from shivering with high grade fever(102.5F), headache .. he is diabetic and high bp under medication. He also on pills for High Uric Acid.

I suspect hime of suffering malaria. I have given him 2 tabs crocin advance.

Suggest treatment. I have lumerax 80 right now. should i give it to him.
Posted Mon, 9 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No you should not give lumerax.

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into the problem I would advise you to not give empirically antimalarial therapy . Even viral fevers , Urine r/m , Dengue antibodies , peripheral smear for Malarial parasite , widal test . You can give him antipyretics if fever comes . The cause needs to be established before starting medicine .

Kindly seek medical help at earliest .

Dr. Shruti
Follow-up: Suffering from shivering with high fever, headache. Diabetic, high BP and uric acid, under medication. Suggest? 11 minutes later

But ferver with shivering comes in malaria not in viral ferver. REcently myself and earlier this month my wife suffered with malaria and treated with lumerax. My wife tested RMA positive and myself RMA negative.

So based on the symptoms, why not advisable lumerax. What side effect can lumerax cause if given to my father aged 61 ?
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Based on his age it is not advisable

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir,

Well there is a possibilty that it may be malaria as you had that recently in your family . Viral fever may lead to shivering in old age . I dont advise empirical therapy but you can consult your family doctor if he says you can take it.

It is a safe medicine and no side effects are noted in general.

Dr. Shruti