Suffering from shiver, cold and cough. Taking Roxid. Is this due to side effects of Zyloric?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi Sir, I have started taking the Zyloric 300mg daily one for 1 month to bring down the Uric acid as suggested. However, having the medicine I am suffering from cold ( since 27th November). Earlier, I used have could cough once in a year that used got cured within a week after having some medicine (used to have Roxid 150 mg 4 pills) . As I said l suffered last time from cold and cough on 2012 XXXXXXX that to be for 7 days. However, this time I am suffering shiver cold and cough since last 15 days and there is no sign of relief after taking the Roxid 300 mg tablet. Is this a side effect of the Zyloric or I need to go for a physical consultation. Else, could you please suggest me any medicine for Cough and Cold.
Posted Wed, 1 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: Likely to be bacterial pharyngitis or sinusitis. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting me with your health concern. The continuous and severe cough and cold that you are having is not related to raised uric acid levels or taking Zyloric. Sometimes a persistent infection in the airways and a decreased immunity levels can cause such a persistent problem. Since the symptoms are persistent for more than a week, sinusitis also needs to be ruled out after a proper physical examination by ENT specialist. Drink plenty of fluids throughout the day and use over-the-counter throat lozenges. Salt water gargle is also a good way to relieve a sore throat. In addition, take anti inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen and Paracetamol (Acetaminophen) to relieve the pain. Sucking hard candies and ginger lemon tea and inhaling steam would also help in opening the congestion. Also get a rapid strep test (to rule out streptococcal sore throat) and a throat swab done at your ENT doctor’s office so that if it is bacterial Pharyngitis, you will need a course of antibiotics according to the throat swab culture. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards.