Suffering from shaky hands. Could it be a parkinson's disease?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
squeezing a bottle of honey makes my hand shake is this sign of parkensas disease where you get old and ur hold body and fingers shake ??? i am really worried

also if i am laying down and lift my head a little bit in the position of a situp attemp my body shakes ! is this because of weak stomach muscle ? i do have a flappy belly but not big belly just lose fat ;-)
Posted Fri, 16 Nov 2012 in Sleep Disorders

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 hours later

Thank you for posting your query on Healthcare magic.

First of all, I wish to reassure you that you are not suffering from Parkinson's disease (PD).

You are most likley suffering from benign essential tremors, which is not a serious problem, and can be easily treated with medicines, such as beta blockers (propranolol).

Parkinson's disease does not usually occur below age 40, and other symptoms such as slowness of movements, stiffness of limbs and postural imbalance are also present in this disease. So, since you do not have other features of PD, it is unlikely in your case.

I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad

Follow-up: Suffering from shaky hands. Could it be a parkinson's disease? 3 hours later
ok thank you doctor
but i read about this benign essential tremors, this is not what i have as per the sysmton

like if i am pouring water in a glass using a heavy water jug then my hand will shake etc.

how quick can this be treated and if left untreated what happens ?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for getting back with clarification. I agree that most likely you are not suffering from benign essential tremors.

In your case, symptoms are much milder and may be normal also.

However, please check for vitamin deficiencies such as vitamin B12 (in a blood test), as these can cause nerve weakness and shaking.

As of now, there is no need of any treatment, and I do not think that it will worsen either in future, if left untreated.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad

Follow-up: Suffering from shaky hands. Could it be a parkinson's disease? 1 minute later
ok i will start taking B12 vitamins anyway but also can you tell me which vitamin will be good to make my nerve strong so i can also fight this burning sensation when i have very small amount of urine

but also i have residual urine shown of 180ml after i urinate

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 11 minutes later

Thank you for getting back.

For nerve strengthening, in addition to vitamin B12, you can take thiamine, alpha lipoid acid and pyridoxine.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)