Suffering from severe weakness, sore throat and pain while swallowing. Suggest?

My husband has been suffering from severe weakness from the past few days. He is also having a sore throat and pain while gulping anything.

We are scheduled to go for a vacation to a beach place tonight. Can you please suggest some generic antibiotic which can prevent his situation from worsening.

Posted Tue, 1 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Warm and salt water gargling will help

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mrs XXXXX
Thanks for the query, I have carefully gone through your query and I understand your concern.

Weakness associated with sore throat and pain while swallowing indicates that your husband is likely suffering from pharyngeal infection (Pharyngitis), it could be bacterial or viral.

In this condition it would be best if you could consult a doctor nearest to you ask him/her for a prescription for antibiotics.

As you are saying that you are going on a vacation, I suggest you ask your husband to keep doing salt water(Warm water with salt) gargling from today itself. In similar instances I typically advice my patients to take a course of Azithromycin 500 mg on first day (Only one tablet) followed by 250mg on second and third day. And for symptomatic relief I would suggest sinarest 2 to 3 times in a day for 3 days.

Since the medications I have mentioned will be dispensed only on prescription, You will have to go to your local doctor and get the same prescribed after a complete examination.

Hope this answers your query effectively. Please feel free to write back to meif you have any more questions.

Wishing you and your husband good health and happy vacation.

Warm regards,
Dr. Yogesh. D
Follow-up: Suffering from severe weakness, sore throat and pain while swallowing. Suggest? 8 minutes later
Thank you for your quick reply. I forgot to mention that he has started taking Cetrizine tablets since the last 2 days. Will this help?
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, to some extent

Detailed Answer:
Hello again Mrs Banerjee,

Thanks for writing back.

Yes cetrizine will help to some extent, but I feel a course of antibiotics is warranted in your husband's case, hence it would be prudent to seek help from your doctor.

Hope this clears your doubt.

Dr. Yogesh. D