Suffering from severe throat infection and getting fever. Got hypothyroid. Looking for proper treatment

Question
Hi, I am XXXXXXX .I am suffering from severe throat infection..I got it first 3 years back..from the on for every 3 to 4 months I'm getting this infection which after one day converting to fever..I neglected this infection by just using fever tablets..after that throt infection decreased along with fever..but recently 3 months back I got hypothyroid..now I am fully worried of my health. Can my throat be normal or it is damaged beyond cure. Please guide me with proper treatment than you..
Posted Thu, 16 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 19 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

The Hypothyroid state may not be related to the throat condition.The treatment would be by supplements of the hormone.I assume you would be educated about it when you were diagnosed.

The throat infection causing bacteria if not treated with good and specific antibiotics would stay in the throat for long times.They may multiply during favourable conditions like stress, poor nutrition and during any other infections and cause frequent sore throat.

I suggest you to gargle with antiseptic solution like CHLORHEXIDINE twice daily after food along with other symptomatic treatment for fever and cold.

Before starting gargling I would recommend a Culture sensitivity test for the secretions from the throat. The test involves growing of the bacteria from the secretions in the lab in an artificial medium and trying different antibiotics on it.This way we would get to know the best antibiotics which can put an end to the infection for ever.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Suffering from severe throat infection and getting fever. Got hypothyroid. Looking for proper treatment 25 minutes later
Thanks for your answer..can you please evaluate how to take culture sensitivity test and where to take it..does normal diagnostic centres do the test..and would you suggest me with the best appropriate tablet for the infection along with chlorhexidine gargles...

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Yes, any diagnostic center can get this test done.

Tab Imol plus taken twice daily for not more than 3 days along with gargling would serve the purpose.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Suffering from severe throat infection and getting fever. Got hypothyroid. Looking for proper treatment 13 minutes later
one last and small question..does the imol plus cure my throat infection permanently and should I stop taking chlorhexidine gargles also after 3 days .or can I continue for more than 3 days..thanks for your service its really awesome and quick..I will refer to my family nd friends

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 6 minutes later

No, Imol is for symptomatic relief only. You must be placed on antibiotics for complete recovery.

Yes, you can continue gargling for upto 5 days. This prevents the infection from getting worsened.

Thanks for your feedback.

Would like to receive a review after you close the discussion.

Wish you good health.