Suffering from severe throat infection. Not able to swallow. Prescribed Dolo and clarithromycin. Feeling weak. Suggestions?

Sir, This is XXXXX from Delhi. I am suffering from severe throat infection. Its paining a lot, i am not able to swallow anything, because it hurts in my throat. I consulted a local doc, he prescribed me, Dolo 650mg, Clarithromycin 500mg, Fexy 180mg and Vizylec Cap. But i am not having relief..also i am feeling very week, bcause i am not able to eat drink anything. Please help me...i am in great trouble.
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX and thanks for the query.
I am Dr. Ditah and feel honored providing answers to your health questions today. I am so sorry about what you have been experiencing.

From your symptoms, it seems you have got tonsillitis. This is often troubling and makes feeding very difficult. This causes so much discomfort to patients. The most common cause is streptococcus and the most prescribed antibiotic for treatment is penicilling V. Clarithromycin, though also recommended for treatment is a second line. The most recommended drug is often Penicillin V. He has his reasons which I think are justified for using this drug. Pain medications are used to control the pains while the infection gets treated.

If you have taken this treatment for more than 3 days and still feel this terrible, then it may signal treatment failure or onset of complications like abscess formation. It could also be that it is something else and we are simply treating the wrong illness.

The best thing to do is to get reassessed by your physician and find out whether the problem could be a wrong diagnosis, complications or a simply ineffective treatment. Only after this that you will receive updated care that can really get the problem solved.

Because you are unable to eat and drink, this can have far reaching consequences like low blood sugar, dehydration and its complication. I will advice that you get evaluated and if you cannot resume prompt feeding, then intravenous fluids with electrolytes, vitamins and glucose should be administered to keep you well hydrated and strong while the infection and pains are brought under control. Also, if you cannot eat, then oral treatment will most likely be discouraged and you may need intravenous antibiotics.

I hope this helps you and guide you on the way forward.
I wish that this problem get resolved as soon as possible.
wish you good health and please, feel free to return and request for more information if need be.
Dr. Ditah, MD.