Suffering from severe pain after a surgery to repair fractured left wrist. What should be done?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Doctor Greetings I am looking for help for my wife who had surgery to repair fractured left wrist ( radius and ulna ) on october 13 2012. She now has been suffering from severe pain . ulnar styloid pain, separation, swelling and severe dark red and dark blue purple discoloration of wrist . One doctor in Med express correctly suspects reaction to metal ( mixture of nickle cobalt alloys ) . She has lot of swelling and pain. The orthopedic doctor who did surgery does not thnik it is reaction but we do. What should be done to releive pain ?
Please advise ,
Thanking you
Naresh Bhatt MD.
Posted Tue, 25 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
A lot of swelling and pain after the surgery with color changes is likely to be due to a metal allergy causing the reactive fluid collection. The main cause of the problem needs to be taken care of with the help of systemic antibiotics, serratiopeptidase and antiinflammatory medicines.
She can also get an X-ray and MRI of the area done to assess the amount of healing that has taken place. A regular clinical examination is mandatory along with the medicines to monitor the progress. Aspiration of any reactive fluid collected may ease her pain.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.