Suffering from severe nerve pain under shoulder blade till biceps. Tried tylenol. What else can be used?

I am suffering from severe nerve pain that starts under my shoulder blade and runs under my shoulder, down the bottom of my bicep into my elbow and down my arm as well as pain, I get pins and needles if I left my arm hang down. I have tried tylenol 3 but t did nothing for the pain. what else can I try
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
?Nerve pain of neck origin

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read your query in detail.

Neck/ shoulder pain is a common problem and can be caused by numerous spinal problems. It may also arise due to muscular tightness in both the neck and upper back, or pinching of the nerves emanating from the cervical spine.

This can give rise to 'referred' pain (the irritation of the nerve in one area can sometimes lead to pain, known as 'referred' pain, in other parts of the body) or numbness or 'pins and needles' in your shoulders, arms and hands. If pain has not improved progressively after several days' rest, a visit to your chiropractor is advisable.

As it supports the weight of your head with the aid of a highly mobile system of muscles and ligaments, the neck is very vulnerable. Monotonous activities often cause postural problems and muscle tension in the neck, which may give rise to abnormal nerve function and pain.

The shoulder is the most movable joint in the body. However, it is an unstable joint because of the range of motion allowed. This instability increases the likelihood of joint injury, often leading to a degenerative process in which tissues break down and no longer function well.

Shoulder pain may be localized or may be referred to areas around the shoulder or down the arm. Disease within the body (such as gallbladder, liver, or heart disease, or disease of the cervical spine of the neck) also may generate pain that the brain may interpret as arising from the shoulder. Conversely, pain felt in the region of the shoulder blade or scapula nearly always has its origin in the neck.

I suggest you get yourself examined clinically by your doctor. Where appropriate, specific chiropractic manipulation, massage and active rehabilitation of the muscles and other soft tissues will help restore normal movement to your neck and shoulders and relieve the pressure on the nerves in your cervical spine. Ointments containing muscle relaxants and pain relievers may help. Your may also take physiotherapy exercises to help you regain strength and flexibility and help relieve any long-term pain and discomfort.

I hope this helps.
Do write back in case of doubts.

Dr.A.Rao Kavoor