Suffering from severe lower back pain in the mornings. Proper treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been suffering from severe lower back pain since a month, on the left side and above the waist. This pain is only when I get up in the morning after sleep.It lasts for just half an hour and does not pain during the day time. I have tried different beds but still have the pain in the morning.
Kindly suggest the appropraite treatment for this.
Posted Tue, 29 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 5 hours later
Thanks for choosing Healthcare magic platform for your query.

This, as you already know, looks like a positional anomaly. You have tried different mattresses over a month, but forgot to take into account the duration, which matters the most. The low back ache is a result of muscle spasm which in itself is a protective mechanism body develops so that the back avoids abnormal posture. For pain to go, it takes not only rest (on a comfortable bed) but also avoidance of particular positions (during work, rest or recreation).

You must initially figure out a particular bed, preferably a coir-foam mattress, for resting and give it ample time to set in. It takes some time to do so and one should not expect immediate relief. Even the sleeping position matters, so avoid sleeping on sides and stomach in case you do. While on work don't sit in one position for more than an hour and take frequent stretch breaks. Do not bend forward to lift things up, bend the knees and hips for that. Also discontinue any strenuous activity or exercises for some time.

Having said that, you might want to consult your orthopaedician for a detailed physical examination and appropriate investigations. It might help with few medications and physiotherapy for a few days. Physiotherapy particularly lumbar traction for a week and back strengthening exercises after pain relief work well.

Remember that medicines usually don't play a role in long term treatment, what does is exercises. Few exercises that the therapist will teach you must be done for life time. I hope you find this answer informative. I'm available for follow up for further assistance.
Follow-up: Suffering from severe lower back pain in the mornings. Proper treatment? 1 hour later
Thank you Sir for your valuable reply.I will go ahead with your suggestions. I just have ome doubt about the pain, why does it occur just after I get up from the sleep? And it lasts only few minutes, but is severe.I don't have even a minor pain during the day or when I go to sleep.

Thanking you in anticipation.
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 8 minutes later
Thanks for replying back sir.
The pain occurs in the morning because the body lies in one particular position for long time giving rise to stiffness. After some routine morning activity the joints swing back to action and loosen the stiffness.

You are most welcome to ask more health related questions.