Suffering from severe knee pain. How to get cure?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
Hi Doctor. Have been suffering from severe Knee pain and pain in my foot. Pain is especially high when I move from a state of rest. I am unable to get up after sitting down(squatting).
I have not undergone any lifestyle change but have increased weight by about 5kgs in the last 5 months which is unusual of me as I have been stable around 80kgs for over a period of 15 years. Please suggest prevention and cure.
Posted Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

From your symptoms it seems that your knee joints have undergone osteoarthritic changes. These are basically age related degenerative changes in the weight bearing joints like knee and is characterized by joint pain and stiffness. Any extra load or stress, worsens the situation, usually temporarily.

Such situation comes under control with weight reduction, pain killers, hot fomentation, lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin , dycerin, etc and some life style modifications and physiotherapy.

It is suggested to add calcium supplements 500mg each twice daily. This will take care of your mild symptoms.Take diet XXXXXXX in calcium, vitamins and minerals.

You can start with walking and aerobic fitness exercises. Muscle strengthening exercises will help him. But, it has to be done under physiotherapist guidance, as the proper method of doing should be demonstrated.

Avoid too much Stair case, squatting postures, any chair which has a sitting platform lower than your knees..

However, for the final diagnosis and treatment, you need to undergo physical examination and investigations like X-rays-Both Knee Antero-Posterior, standing and lateral view, MRI knee joints, etc.

I hope this answers your query. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Follow-up: Suffering from severe knee pain. How to get cure? 1 hour later
Does this require knee replacement. If so should it be after some age

It is not necessary that you require knee replacement if you having osteoarthritis.
It can be well managed with good physiotherapy, weight reduction and some life style modification.

Hope this information helps you.If you have any questions I will be happy to answer.
Please close the query if you have no other questions.

Good luck -- I hope things go well.

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.