Suffering from severe joint pain in knee. Not cured by medicine. What to do?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
sir my mom had a problem of joint pain in his left knee, after consultation doctor told me that her cartilage got dissolved,after taking medicines she won`t get relief, now she is having severe pain in her knees
my e mail address is YYYY@YYYY
Posted Fri, 16 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

Your mom might having osteoarthritis of left knee.

It is a degenerative disease, considered a "wear and tear" process, where there is gradual degradation of the hyaline cartilage that covers the articulating surfaces of the bones in the knee joint.

I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. She may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance to confirm the diagnosis and rule out other form of Arthritis (such as rheumatoid arthritis, infectious arthritis, etc.)

The goal of treatment in osteoarthritis is to reduce joint pain and inflammation while improving and maintaining joint function.

She can take NSAIDS such as ibuprofen; glucosamine/chondroitin after discussing with treating doctor.

She can get relief by regular exercise(Quadriceps and hamstring exersises) and physical therapy. Aim of this is to reduce pain, spasm and stiffness ,muscles strengthening, increasing range of motion and flexibility.

If there is no relief with this measures and there is more joint destruction , You can discuss with your doctor about surgical options.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.