Suffering from severe join pain. Not cured by medicine. How to get rid of this pain?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My mother is suffering the severe join pains from the past one and half year. She is basically a working women and she also looks after the office and more importantly, home needs as well. She suffered from Chicken Gunea (kind of fever with muscle contraction) two years back and that's the starting point for these pains. I came to know that her periods were stopped some time back (about two years). She is currently taking some medicines to wearing soft chappals in home and outside, but still not completely recovered from the pains. Coming to her food habits, she prefers to have cooked food daily. Milk, Tea, Coffee, breakfasts like Idly, Dosa etc and lunch and dinner with Rice with Curry n Curd (relatively higher in take of cooking oil). Fruit juices - not often but once or twice a week. I hope I have given a better idea of her status. Please let me know in case you require any other information and necessary suggestions, care, food habits and any thing else to be care for her to get rid of these pains. Thanks in Advance.

Posted Sun, 4 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later

Your mother might suffering from Chicken Gunea arthritis.

In Chicken Gunea joint pain improves with activity but worsens after strenuous exertion.Joint pain lasts for a week or so in most patients and may require months to resolve completely. The arthritis may persist and become chronic in some patients as is the case of your mother.

Chronic Chikungunya arthritis requires expert care with various disease modifying drugs(Imunomodulators). You can start these drugs after discussing with your doctor.

I would like to give some diet tips which might be helpful to get rid of these pain.Often the elimination of certain foods such as the following will help greatly:

Dairy products, with the exception of plain yogurt with active culture
Citrus, with the exception of lemon and grapefruit
Meat including beef, pork, and lamb (other sources of protein such as chicken, fish and beans are less likely to promote inflammation)
Vegetable oils (continue using olive oil and the essential fatty acids flax seed, sesame, pumpkin, sunflower oils)

I would also like to give some advice to make the life better and to fight with these pains-

Do regular physiotherapy of joints.
Hot fomatation to decrease the joint stiffness
Hot bath of Epsom salts(magnnesium sulphate)-Magnesium has both anti-inflammatory and anti- arthritic properties and it can be absorbed through the skin.

I hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have more concerns.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.