Suffering from severe headache, stuffy nose, chills, heavy sweating and sore neck. What could this be?

Oncologist
Question
yes, my son is suffering from severe headache,stuffy nose,101 temp.,chills, heavy sweating,started with a sore neck,this happened a couple of weeks ago and lasted for a week and now it has started all over again. what could this be?
Posted Sat, 15 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 15 minutes later
Thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

Really at this point there are two considerations. One consideration is that your son is dealing with a case of sinusitis. In this type of situation a bacteria might be affecting his symptoms causing inflammation of the sinus passages as well as a headache. Fever might also be associated with this. As you might know the treatment for this does involve antibiotics which would need to be provided by prescription from his doctor. In addition other medications might be considered to help decrease inflammation in the sinuses. This might include a steroid containing nasal spray.

One additional consideration would be that this might represent a viral syndrome. Again this is something that should be discussed with the physician who might examine your son and provide recommendations regarding treatment. If this is a virus antibiotics generally do not help. I think with the level of severity as well as duration of symptoms what you have described would benefit from consultation and physical examination by a like to discuss.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga