Suffering from severe headache. What precaution and medicine should be taken?

Nov 2013

One of my friends is suffering from severe head ache. She told me some time back that it was migraine head ache. Later, pain was under control for some time. Now, whenever she gets exposed to sun or does head bath, she gets head ache and suffers for a day or two. Sometimes, she was forced to use some pain killers for the same. One more issue is that, the more she gets strained, the often she gets head ache. She has eye sight also. She uses glasses quite a while. Please let me have some precautionary measures or medications to get rid of this pain. Health/diet habits and any other measures also.

Posted Sun, 4 Nov 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.

The most likely diagnosis in your friend's case is migraine.

If a person with migraine gets more than two episodes of headache in a month, preventive medications are required. The common medications in this category include flunarizine, propranolol, Topiramate and divalproex. The purpose of these medicines is to prevent recurrence episodes of headache in the future.

In addition, analgesic medications may be required as and when there is severe headache. Common medications in this category include diclofenac, ibuprofen, paracetamol, ritzatriptan, sumatriptan, etc. These medicines reduce the pain.

In addition, following precautions are also useful in controlling migraine:

1. Regular sleep at nights for 7-8 hours,
2. Timely food intake and avoiding fasting,
3. Avoid stress and tension,
4. Avoid direct exposure to sunlight,
5. Avoid certain food stuffs such as cakes, cheese, Chinese food, too much of coffee, etc, as they may aggravate headaches.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you require any additional information.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar Md DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad