Suffering from severe diarrhoea. Prescribed antibiotics. Noticed blood in stools. Switched to zerolac from lactogen, also teething. Help?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013
Excellent

Pediatrician
Question
hi doc
my baby turns 6 months this 7th XXXXXXX he has been suffering from severe diarrhoea ladt few days. this started from 20th may we showed the doc and the doc gave antibiotics when there was specs of blood in his potty. we switched him to zerolac from lactogen completely. the diarrhoea stopped nd he was doing fine. 3 days back we again switched him to lactogen since he was doing fine. he started havin diarrhoea again since then and for last 3 days he has been doing potty 8 to 9 times a day.. he is also teething. I can see swollen gums on the lower gum but no signs of teeth. he is irritable and biting on the teething rings vigorously. we r continuing with zerolac. giving him zinc and econorm but no signs of loose motion improvement.
I want to know is this teething which is causing him the loose motions?
should I continue with zerolac and for how long?
he seems to be doing fine otherwise should I be worried about this diarrhoea how long can this teething diarrhoea last?
should I take him to the doc again?
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXX,

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Teething itself is not a cause of diarrhea directly, but the irritation caused by teething due to which the kids will put hands into mouth is the reason for diarrhea at this age because of contamination.

I advise you to continue zerolac feeds and these feeds can be continued for 8 weeks.

Continue zinc and econorm as prescribed.

The mainstay of treatment in diarrhea is to prevent and to maintain the hydration of the child.

Keep on giving oral rehydration solutions like Pedialyte in sips to prevent dehydration.

Monitor his hydration status by activity, urine output, skin turgor, and moisture of oral cavity and tongue.

Diarrhea may last for 5 to 7 days and try to maintain the hydration of the child during this period.

Take him again to the doctor for physical examination to assess his hydration and to prescribe specific medication to treat the diarrhea like antibiotic if required.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Suffering from severe diarrhoea. Prescribed antibiotics. Noticed blood in stools. Switched to zerolac from lactogen, also teething. Help? 8 hours later
thanks for the quick reply. just want to ask what food should I give my baby now? since he is going to be 6 months I was planning on introducing solids one food by one. should I wait till I try apples banana oats barley and raagi till his diarrhoea subsides completely? can I give him daal khicadi and yogurt at this stage? he is currently having only zerolac feeds and 1 spoon rice in a day...

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 8 hours later
Hi XXXXXX,

Thank you for getting back.

At present continue zerolac formula milk feeds.

The starting infant semisolid food should be mono cereal based like rice. Rice is easily digestible and not associated with allergic reactions.

Therefore, gradually increase the rice based weaning food from one feed to two feeds per day.

I advise you to wait for the introduction of apples, banana, oats, ragi, and barley till the diarrhea subsides completely.

You can try daal khicadi and yogurt later.

At present I advise you to continue zerolac feeds and rice based weaning food.

Regards.