Suffering from sepsis. Got fever, breathing problem and not able to sleep. What should I do?

Aug 2012

I have a friend who is over weight and was in the hospital a couple months ago wit sepsis. Last night he had a high temperature of 102 with cold hands and feet. He also had a lot of phlegm and had trouble breathing and could not sleep. he is on a cpap machine. He is feeling better today. He is on high blood pressure meds.
Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 2 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Breathlessness and having phlegm with fever do indicate that a person's lungs are infected. Being on CPAP for sleep apnea is different matter, which is a chronic problem due to obesity and other metabolic disturbances.

Here he certainly needs monitoring of body temperature and the nature of phlegm. As per you, now he is better, but if breathlessness happens again, temperature goes up and if the sputum increases in quantity, thickness, and density of color then please do not rely on home remedies alone. He must be shown to a physician or chest physician for appropriate antibiotic prescription. Blood pressure medications to be continued, as they are essential medications and not to be discontinued during such acute illnesses. Certainly, the physician will review his general status including any rise in blood pressure and will decide on modifications in the treatment.

In short, do not wait longer as he is 66 years and has tendency to spread the infection rapidly (as was the sepsis episode). Do get back for further query if you have. I hope he is also receiving guidance to reduce weight/ maintain weight. That will certainly help him improve the obstructive sleep apnea, blood pressure control and lot more on physical front. Let him come out of the acute condition now and then we shall discuss about step-by-step measures for weight loss in him.

Best luck.