Suffering from seizure disorder. Started getting minor attack. On breast feed. What medicine should be given?

Sep 2012

My wife XXXXXXX XXXXXXX age about 28 years, is suffering from seizure disorder since childhood, she got attack twice a day but it is minor attack, she has done test such as EEG, CT Scan etc. The test are normal, and she has baby who is feeding breast milk. Will suggest me what medicine she should take?
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 3 hours later

I understand your problem; epilepsy can be concerning and I hope your know few important facts that should be kept in mind when one suffers epilepsy.
1. Protect her from injury by taking necessary precautions during the epileptic episodes.
2. Padded gag should be inserted in teeth during episodes.
3. Driving, swimming should be avoided.
4. Never stop medicines without the advice of the treating doctor.

Now medicines,

- During breastfeeding, commonly used drug is phenobarbitone. This can be given in 2 to 3 doses.
- Phenytoin and carbamazepine are the second choice of drugs.
- Along with the above mentioned drugs one multivitamin must be given to her.

These drugs do not have any side effects on breastfeeding baby. Consult her treating doctor for dose distribution and if needed combination of these drugs.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any more queries.