Suffering from scalp psoriasis. Prescribed with Sorvate-C ointment. Any side effects on prolonged usage?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Question

My wife is 28 years old and is suffering fromscalp/skin psoriasis. Upon consulation with a dermatologist, he had prescribed Sorvate-C ointment. She has been using it for the past one year intermittently as the cream had shown good results. She usually uses it for a week or two on the skin and then discontinues it. Do we have any side affects on prolonged usage of this cream?
Posted Fri, 29 Jun 2012 in Psoriasis

Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 3 hours later
Hello

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

Psoriasis is considered a non-curable, long-term (chronic) skin condition. It has a variable course, periodically improving and worsening. It is not unusual for psoriasis to spontaneously clear for years and stay in remission.

It is important to keep in mind that as with any medical condition, all medications carry possible side effects. No medication is 100% effective for everyone, and no medication is 100% safe.

The risks and potential benefit of medications have to be considered for each type of psoriasis and the individual patient.

It is better to change the antipsoriasis drug every six to 24 months in order to minimize the possible side effects from any one type of therapy or medication.

Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects. A brief sensation of warmth or stinging may occur immediately after applying the medication. Skin redness, dryness, itching, scaling, mild burning, or worsening of acne may occur during the first 2-4 weeks of using the medication. These effects usually decrease with continued use.

As such there are no documents suggesting of any severe adverse effect following long term topical use of this drug.

As psoriasis does not have cure it is better to discuss with your consulting dermatologist how frequently you should use the drug and also of what strength and with regular follow up.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer