Suffering from runny nose, sneezing and itching. How to treat Nasal Allergy?

ENT Specialist
How I treat with my Nasal Allergy? Daily suffering from runny nose, Sneezing, Itching. Now medicines are not doing effect on my problem. Pls guide me on the same.
Posted Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 27 hours later
Brief Answer: use drugs for allergy, nasal spray, immunotherapy Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Nasal allergy is can be seasonal or perennial and as you are suffering from it daily, is suppose it is perennial. For mild symptoms, oral antihistaminics, nasal antihistaminics, nasal decongestants and leukotriene receptor inhibitors are recommended alone or a combination of. For moderate to severe symptoms, intra nasal corticosteroid sprays, oral antihistaminics or a combination of oral antihistaminics with leukotriene receptor inhibitors and review after 2-4 weeks. If improved, step down and continue for more than 1 month and then taper down according to need/symptoms. If no improvement, and if the doctor treating is sure of the diagnosis of allergic rhinitis, increase the dose of intranasal corticosteroids and is rhinorrhea is persisting, add Ipratropium bromide. If severe blockade and add oral steroids as a short course. Please discuss with your doctor about what kind and group of drugs he/she has used in your case. Also if all the drugs/groups which I have listed above are not being effective, an option of immunotherapy (which can also be specific) should be given a chance. Another point I would like to ask is that if you are saying that symptoms are not there when nasal sprays are being used and after the stoppage of these medicines, the symptoms reappear, then this can happen in patients with allergic rhinitis and treatment needs to be taken as per the need and then tapered off. Also very important is the avoidance of factors which you can find/notice as triggers for the symptoms. Please vacuum clean your home and avoid thick curtains, excessive vegetation, pets, furs and other allergy causing things in home. Use of vacuum/electric chimney also helps. Wish you good health. Regards
Follow-up: Suffering from runny nose, sneezing and itching. How to treat Nasal Allergy? 21 hours later
Dear Doctor, Thanks for your valuable response for my question. I will keep your answer in my mind while treating through local Doctor & covey the same. Thanks, XXXXX. XXXXXXX XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Pleasure answering your query Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Ji, It was pleasure answering your query. Please feel free to ask any query in future also. With regards