Suffering from runny nose, fever and sensitivity around eyebrow. Is it sinus infection?

ENT Specialist
Had a cold a few weeks ago. Towards the end had runny nose and blew nose frequently to clear it. Thought everything ok but afterwords started occasionally smelling and even more occasionally tasting blood, but never had blood discharge from nostrils. Five days ago started getting sinus congestion with sensitivity around eyebrows and developed minor fever. Fever subsided after 24 hours but congestion worsened and became quite painful. Occasionally congestion enough to cause left eye to tear up (not from pain but seems just pushed out by congestion). Pain/congestion is responsive to OTC decongestants and haven't had loss of smell or inability to breath through the nose. Normally I'm fine in the morning but congestion builds through the day (perhaps because of steam from shower holding off symptoms until later in the day?). On the first day the congestion went away after a few hours but on second through fourth day it didn't subside until i took a decongestant. Took longer for congestion to develop today but still painful. I'm 34 with no history of allergies. Never had anything like this happen before. I'd appreciate any feedback on causes and recommendations for treatment. Sounds like sinus infection (viral or bacterial?) but I want to see if there's anything i should do beyond the OTC meds to avoid problem worsening.
Posted Sat, 3 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 31 minutes later
I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon.
On the basis of th information provided it appears to be acut rhinosinusitis (infection of naose and sinuses). It appears that it started as a viral infection and later on there was bacterial infection. It responds well to nasal decongestants (nose drops and tablets). If it is bacterial infection you may also need antibiotics. Bloody discharge is rare in rhinosinusitis so it appears that there are a few more possibilities like polyps in the nose or a mass lesion in the nose.
I would advise you for a ENT consultation, diagnostic nasal endoscopy and a X XXXXXXX of Paranasal sinuses to reach the diagnosis.
I hope this answers your concerns
Feel free to contact me if you need more information about it
with regards
Ravinder Sharma