Suffering from running nose and sour throat. Is it safe to take montek lc and budesonide nasal spray?

ENT Specialist
I'm suffering from running nose and sour throat almost through out the year since childhood. All these years Dr's where giving me antibiotics, but my new DR suggested to take the following:

1. budesonide nasal spray (twice a day)
2. Montek LC (one tablet a day)

For almost a year I'm feeling fine, but now from past couple of weeks I'm having a heat bubble kind in the throat when i use budesonide nasal spray.

What I want to know, is it safe to take these medicines? (per my Dr i should take even if im feeling better).

Please suggest.
Posted Tue, 9 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query

You are suffering from Allergic rhinitis.

Allergic rhinitis is a common condition characterized by an immunoglobulin E (IgE)-mediated inflammation of the nasal mucosa following exposure to allergens. It is characterized by sneezing, nasal discharge and nasal congestion.

During allergic rhinitis there is inflammation of the nasal mucosa causing blockage of the sinus openings leading to accumulation of the nasal secretions in the sinus. Also, there is trickling of the nasal secretions behind the throat causing throat discomfort and cough.

The common triggerers of allergy are the pollen, dust, fumes, coils smoke, etc. The bitter truth is, there is no cure for allergy, and only the preventive measures when followed can get rid of allergy.

Preventive measures such as avoiding the triggering allergens such as dust, smoke, strong perfumes and changing the pillow cover every night before going to bed can reduce the further attacks. Also, avoid sleeping directly under the fan or in front of the air conditioner.

Now let’s discuss about your present situation:
1. Since one year you were symptom free
2. Recently you have developed sore throat

If you are already symptom free without using any type of nasal spray, then the best bet would be to refrain from using the spray. Steroid nasal spray (budesonide nasal spray) is not recommended to be used continuously for more than a year. If so, then various side effects are noticed such as dryness of the nasal and throat mucosa, bleeding from the nose, burning sensation in the nose and the throat, etc.

The recent onset of sore throat could be due to viral infection or allergy related or acid reflux disease. The sore throat will not improve with the use of steroid spray. The management of the latter is entirely different.

My advice to you:
1. At present if you do not any allergic symptoms do not use any sort of nasal sprays.
2. Drink plenty of warm water, it will keep your throat and nasal mucosa moistened and reduces the irritation.
3. Use mild anti-inflammatory medicines such as diclofenac or ibuprofen and povidone iodine throat spray/gargles.
4. Avoid chilled/hot food and beverages.
5. Avoid smoking/alcohol/coffee/fried food till you recover completely.

With the above measures you should be definitely alright.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon