Suffering from ringing ear, tingling legs, shortness of breath and chest pressure. Any thoughts?

Nov 2013

My 37 yr. old husband has recently had nonstop ringing in his left ear that at times changes tone and volume and pressure around electronics. He also has been experiencing tingling and feelings of burning and/or "zaps" in his hands and legs. In the last 2 days he's experienced shortness of breath and chest pressure. All bloodwork has come back normal, ECG, and EEG are normal. Blood pressure is normal.
Very worried... Please give me your thoughts.
Posted Fri, 7 Dec 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

There are two main possibilities for your husband's ringing in the ear-

1. Ear-related problems: an ENT evaluation including audiometry would be useful in determining any ear problems.

2. Related to acoustic (hearing) nerve: rarely, there can be tumours or infections of the acoustic nerve, which can produce similar symptoms.

If ENT exam is normal and symptoms are persisting, MRI scan of brain would be useful.

In addition, vitamin B12 level should be checked, as it can lead to tingling and burning of hands and legs. I assume that blood sugars and thyroid profile are normal.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX consultant Neurologist.
Follow-up: Suffering from ringing ear, tingling legs, shortness of breath and chest pressure. Any thoughts? 27 hours later
Thank you very much... Can you explain these recent responses to electronics??
How can a person feel tingling and burning in extremities only around certain electronic areas like near wifi, the microwave, and electromagnetic fields?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 minutes later

Thank you for getting back with more information.

There is no explanation available to explain the worsening of symptoms (tingling and burning of extremities) near electronic or electromagnetic areas. This is interesting, as there is no literature on this. So, future neurologists have one more research idea!

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)