Suffering from ringing ear and eye pain when sneezing. What should I do to get relief?

Excellent

Psychiatrist
Question
about 2-3 weeks ago loud ringing began in both ears - maybe the left is louder. But about 2-3 months ago my left eye suddenly came down with a massive floater and laser surgery was highly recommended by a retina doc - which I had to inhibit the retina from detaching - I was warned. At that time the left eye area felt extremely weak and continue to this day, especially if I try watching hours of TV or computer work which didn't bother me at all prior to three months ago. I'm 59 and have no apparent symptoms of sinus, nor has sinus ever been an issue for me. I've had GIRD for many years. When I sneeze as I always do throughout my life, now it feels like I'm partially sneezing through my left eye - weird. The whole left eye ball hurts, but the vision thus far is OK. Had kidney disease as a child that was resolved after 9 months.
Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query in health care magic.
From the description that you have given, it appears that you have mentioned two main complains:
1) Loud ringing in your ears
2) Seems like partially sneezing through your left eye.

You have put up this question in the "sleep disorder" category, but it appears mentioning your sleep related problems. I would be glad if you can narrate them as well so that we can discuss all the issues in details.

Further with regard to the above mentioned complains
1) Have you done any hearing related investigations?
2) Is there anything that reduces the tinnitus?
3) You mentioned that you have been sneezing through out your life...Do you have a long standing coryza (allergic)
4) Is the left eye painful when you sneeze?

The above information will be useful in helping you in a better way.
Hope to hear from you soon.

Follow-up: Suffering from ringing ear and eye pain when sneezing. What should I do to get relief? 8 days later
I chose sleeping disorders because none of the other choices were close enough. Have not had hearing test done recently. My hearing is good. Nothing significantly reduces the ringing in the ears, but the ringing appears to become loudest at evening soon after eating. Also, just remembered, when lying face down with head on pillow trying to sleep popping vibrations go on related to the ears - that is - I wear ear plugs when its noisy trying to sleep, and its then I hear these strong popping and vibrations. I always thought it was the ear plugs and ignored it until last night after taking the ear plugs out I could sense the popping continued for a few minutes and then went away. Even after having a good sleep in the mirror my left eye lid is closing partially while the right eye is normal. The left eye always feels greatly fatigued now after a couple hours on the computer. A couple of months ago this didn't exist nor the ringing ears.

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 10 hours later
Hello again,
The ringing noise and other kind of vibration that you hear in your ears are called tinnitus. The most common cause for the tinnitus is throat and if this blocks, tinnitus appears.
The ETD blockage can be rectified by antihistaminics. Regulat ETD blocakge needs to be examined by an ENT surgeon. Also try steam inhalation as it will help a lot.
Regarding your problem with eye, you should undergo retinal surgery to prevent Retinal detachment. The condition is not painful, but then it causes huge impairment.
Regarding your eyelid fatigue, its difficult to comment unless it is examined closely. All said probably your hearing problem and your eye problem are not related to each other.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
Thanks and regards,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD

Follow-up: Suffering from ringing ear and eye pain when sneezing. What should I do to get relief? 10 hours later
Thank you for the ear duck blockage information. I will follow up on that with prim. care. I didn't mention, I'm sorry, but December 2012 I did have laser surgery for my left eye being warned by the retina doc as you just warned me. My last checkup with him a week ago - he says I'm out of the woods from what he can see, but return immediately if any further problems. I was told I have to live with the floater until it liquifies. My left eye maintains an irritable floater that causes blur when the floater moves back and forth. It's a clear circular floater. And when I sneeze, just recently, the left eye feels extremely weak in the socket and hurts a little during the sneeze. Back in December when my regular eye doc's assistant checked my eyes she put something on the eyes. The right eye I noticed nothing, but the left eye hurt terribly to allow her to continue, but she finally did the test. Finally, hours on the computer hurts my L-eye but not the Right.

Hello Again,
The characteristic feature of retinal detachment is it being completely painless. The only problem it creates is by reducing the field of vision. The pain that you are describing is very unlikely cause of the retinal detachment. The pain that you are suggesting could be due to some sort of inflammation that is continuing in the eye or behind the eye. Similarly the pain in your left eye after prolonged computer usage also cannot be explained cause of retinal detachment. I am not doubting the expertise of your eye assistant, but if possible I would request you to get a second examination opinion from an eye doctor for the complains of pain.
It is very much possible that the pain could be a residua of the operation that was conducted for your RD. A USG scan of the retro-orbital area will also be useful.
If your eye doctor agrees, you can take a course of non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or steroid drugs for a short period to reduce the pain.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
Thanks and regards,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD

Follow-up: Suffering from ringing ear and eye pain when sneezing. What should I do to get relief? 8 hours later
Thank you for the info on the eye I'll followup on. I'm going on 60. Finally, the soreness, mild pain, and severe tiredness to the left eye came before the retina laser surgery. It was actually why I went to the eye doc the first time. The first doc I got glasses from. He told me I had no retina problem. I went to a bonified eye doc in my city. He told me no retina problem but he saw blood in my eye and to come back in three weeks. The next visit he still saw no retina problem but referred me to a retina specialist. The retina specialist then said I had a small tear. As major cobweb type floater appeared simultaneously, with the other symptoms I've described so the floater is what I complained about. My dad had surgery to one of his eyes (don't remember which one) so that it wouldn't uncontrollably twitch and start to close. When younger I use to have the same problem when under certain stress, (L-eye), but it would go away after the stress was no longer an issue. I'm under stress now being on early retirement and not working as I've worked all my life since 16. I'm just now thinking about this. When washing my face in the morning I can hear that sound that comes from the eye ball (L-eye only) as I'm putting minor pressure on my eyes splashing the water like I've always done. Also when the L-eye trouble started I was taking Ambien and Lunestta sleep aids continually. I stopped taking them two months ago. I was taking a muscle relaxant (flexeral) at the same time then. Also (remembering) I was swimming every night when the floater and eye pain started. Swimming back strokes, I did moderately carelessly bank the back of my head when reaching the end of the pool XXXXXXX It seems as though the eye ball itself and the eye socket and the ligaments-muscles in that area are being affected by whatever it turns out to be. Last thing: I sleep on the left side of my face. Obviously I'm presently trying to change that.

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 17 hours later
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your follow-up query.
Your problem in your eye is not related to your stress, swimming, sleeping aids, sleeping on your left side and the retinal detachment that you previously had.
As I said in my previous message, there is definite inflammation and cause can be found out only be a careful eye examination under slit lamp.
What ever may be the cause, you should take second opinion for your eye problems.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you can close the discussion and rate the answer accordingly.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.

Follow-up: Suffering from ringing ear and eye pain when sneezing. What should I do to get relief? 5 hours later
I appreciate that answer. One last question on this matter the ringing ears. First Just a note, when examining myself again washing my face I now believe the that eye ball sound I thought i was hearing is actually a sinus sound. The same kind as when your blowing your nose stuffed with liquid, but finer and more specific - coming from around the left eye only (???). I am having to clear my sinus when first getting up in the morning. A lot of clear liquid comes out. I've never had an issue with allergies, but I'm older now. Question: anyway, can any of this tie into my ears ringing much louder over the last month than before? I've always had tinnitus, but not like it is now.

Your sinus infection has lot to do with your ringing ear as it is connected by the eustachian tube. But your eye sounds (lt) doesnt have much to do with your sinusitis. Only the frontal sinusitis can have orbital pain.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.