Suffering from right side pelvic pain. Ultrasound could not find any cyst. What could be the reason?

I have been suffering from right side pelvic pain and pressure for two months. I have IC, but this pain is different and I feel distinct pressure and constant pain. I visited my gyn who performed a pelvic exam, she stated that she felt what she thought was a 3cm cyst. When she touched it, it was painful. I then went for a transvag ultrasound which found no cyst. I am wondering what else it could be since she palpated the lump and pinpointed the painful area. I am being scheduled for a CT scan, but what are the possibilities if it's not a cyst?
Posted Thu, 7 Mar 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 1 hour later
Thanks for your query on health care magic.

Pelvic pain is a common complain amongst women.

Once ovarian cyst is ruled out , other causes of right sided pelvic pain includes:
1. Pelvic adhesions.
2. Endometriosis.
3. Subserous uterine fibroids with secondary chances/torsion.
4. Irritable bowel syndrome.
5 Bladder disorders like interstitial cystitis.
6. Pelvic inflammatory disease(PID).

Before coming to a diagnosis, i need following clarifications from you.
1. Did you undergo any surgery before?
2. Do you have XXXXXXX pain during sexual intercourse?
3. Do you have heavy menstrual bleeding?
4. Are your bowel habits normal and regular?
5. Do you suffer from fever, frequent micturation and burning micturation?
6. Do you have symptoms of foul smelling vaginal discharge?

Waiting for your reply.
Dr Nilofer
Follow-up: Suffering from right side pelvic pain. Ultrasound could not find any cyst. What could be the reason? 8 hours later
I have never had any surgery
I have not had intercourse for 15 months due to pelvis pain
I am on a birth control pill because of previous cysts, but have not had a regular period for two months. I was spotting and passing clots daily, my gyn switched my pill last week and the bleeding has stopped. Historically my periods have been normal but painful.
I do suffer from frequent urination, and also leaking urine, which is new to me
My bowel habits are fairly regular, I do take vicoden TID, so I also take a stool softener.
I do have vaginal discharge which is yellow although the odor is of strong urine
Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 1 hour later
Thanks for your reply.

Your symptoms of Right sided pelvic pain with vaginal discharge suggests Pelvic inflammatory disorder(PID).

I recommend you to :
1. Get a CT abdomen and Pelvis.
2. A swab test to diagnose vaginal infection.
3. Urine culture and sensitivity.

Usually PID responds well to antibiotics. So you need not worry.
Hope this helps. You may write to me anytime for further clarifications.
Dr Nilofer