Suffering from rib joint pain which radiates to spinal cord. Diagnosed with Tietze syndrome and prescribed aceclo-p

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Dear Doctor,

My wife is suffering from rib joint pain in left hand and that is causing pain at rib joint at back side neart to spinal cord. Because of this she could not able to lift any medium heavy objects and even she is getting pain while preparing chapati(while rolling the flour dough). She could not able do any work with her left hand thumb and also she is getting some swelling in the center of elbow from inside.

Medical History:

We approached Apollo Hospitals, Secumderabad.
There doctor told us that this is a problem of Tietze syndrome and he prescribed Aceclo-P(Pain Killer) tablet, and also suggested to for x-Ray and CT Scan. We did not get any fault in X-Ray and CT Scan reports, but problem still exists. Please kindly suggest us the best treatment for this problem.

Posted Sat, 8 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

First of all I want to reassure you that this is self limiting condition, so do not worry about this.
I suggest her to-

Take proper rest and avoid activities that cause pain and worsen her symptoms.

Do hot fomentation several times a day especially before the activities that increase her symptoms.

Continue using Aceclo-p as advised by her doctor to reduce pain and inflammation. Applying ice gel will be also helpful.

The pain usually subside within few weeks, so I suggest her to follow these simple things.

Hope this will help you. Let me know if you have any more concern.

Wishing her speedy recovery.

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.