Suffering from rheumatoid arthritis. Started getting muscle spasms. How to get relief?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I suffer from RA. But for several months now i suffer from muscle spasms. They seem to come and go day and night.
Legs,toes,neck calves,fingers,hips, and my feet. I'am a phlebotomist and its really starting to interfere.
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Muscle spasm seems to be due to stiffness associated with RA

Just as the inflammation of the synovial lining degrades tendons and ligaments, it can do the same to local muscles. Muscle soreness and stiffness is a reported symptom of Rheumatoid arthritis. This condition can also cause muscles to spasm. Not only is exercise essential for vitality, strengthening the muscles near the affected joints may help you retain motion in them.

I would also like to give some advice to make the life better and to fight with these pains-

- Do regular physiotherapy of joints.
- Hot fomentation to decrease the joint stiffness
- Hot bath of Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate)-Magnesium has both anti-inflammatory and anti- arthritic properties and it can be absorbed through the skin.

You have to be started on medication called disease modifying anti rheumatoid drugs(DMARD) alone or in combination with biologicals (Immunomodulators). Since these are prescription drugs and regular follow up would be required, it would be best if you see your general physician for the same.
You also need regular exercises to preserve joint mobility and maintain muscle strength.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wishing you good health...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Follow-up: Suffering from rheumatoid arthritis. Started getting muscle spasms. How to get relief? 21 hours later
I see a Ra Physician but i have not had a response for the spasms. Thank you for your response.

Hi and thanks.

I am pleased to know that I could understand your concern.You can discuss this with your doctor again.

You can consult me again directly through my profile WWW.WWWW.WW
Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service.

Regards.

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.