Suffering from rheumatoid. On medication that do not help. Information about epsom salt baths and apple cider vinegar?

hello doctor,
my dad aged 50 is suffering from rheumatoid for the past 6 years. he is undergoing medications but not feeling better and instead developing pain gradually. please let me know about epsom salt baths and the intake of XXXXXXX cider vinegar for the cure.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Lupus
Follow-up: Suffering from rheumatoid. On medication that do not help. Information about epsom salt baths and apple cider vinegar? 18 hours later
Since 2007, my dad aged 50, is suffering from severe rheumatoid arthiritis problem. He is undergoing medication from then. But no improvements are seen and instead he is developing pain gradually. The continuous 6 years of medication has not shown any improvement. And in additiobn to the above, cervical spine x-ray shows "cervical spondylosis is found and anterior osteophytes in c-4,c-5 and c-6 cervical vertebrae and the reduction in the disc spaces between c-4 and c-5 cervical vertebrae."

The medicines he is currently undertaking is as below.
1. FOLITRAX 10 mg
2. FOLVITE 5 mg
3. LEFNO 10 mg
4. NEUGABA 75 mg
6. RAZO 20
7. ZEPTOL 200
10. DEFCORT 6 mg

I heard something special about the intake of XXXXXXX cider vinegar(ACV) and the epsom salt bath for the pain relief and the complete cure. Can you please provide us with uses and the possible side effects of following ACV and epsom salt bath in addition to the intake of above listed medicines.

Will these 2 treatments cure my dad completely.
Please help us soon.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Jadhav 9 hours later
Dear Mr sranuakartik,

Rheumatoid arthritis, once developed, rarely dissappears. Hence you should have realistic expectations about the prognosis of your dad's problems.

None of the medicines, including cider or epsom salt baths cure rheumatoid arthritis.

However, i can see that with your rheumatologist consultation, you can step up the dose of certain medications like folitrax for a better response.

In addition, ask your rheumatologist about certain newer medications like etanercept and infliximab, which give excellent response in rheumatoid. Unfortunately, they are quite expensive and have to be repeated periodically.

As you might have been told, even a 70% response must be highly appreciated. Most of the times, the response is usually less than this.

Hope this answers your querry.

Good luck.

Follow-up: Suffering from rheumatoid. On medication that do not help. Information about epsom salt baths and apple cider vinegar? 12 hours later
Thanks doctor.

But still i'am confused as i have read in many articles about the fruitful result of the XXXXXXX cider vinegar. So doctor, can you please say whether XXXXXXX cider vinegar and honey can be taken along with the medication he is undergoing. will it provide any side effects or will the intake aggrevate the pain initially.

My dad's gp is not at all responding with any answer whether to take or not atleast.

So please clarify me in this confused state. Whether the ACV gives pain relief or not , please let me know will it provide harm to the entire system.

thanks and regards,
Answered by Dr. Praveen Jadhav 10 hours later

In allopathy, the role of XXXXXXX cider vinegar is not proved. Though not harmful, it has not proven to be of any good. In short, I don’t recommend it for rheumatoid arthritis.

I strongly recommend a proper dose of methotrexate, the most effective medicine for RA.