Suffering from reoccurring bv. Taken antibiotics. Get thick discharge with blood and foul smell. Having pain during sex. Help?

I've been suffering with reoccurring bv for the past few years but it seems to have got worse in the last few months. I've had so many courses of antibiotics that I've lost count! At first it feels like I have a bladder infection, frequently going to the toilet and burning sensation....but then I get a thick discharge sometimes with blood, a foul smell and pain when I have sex. Could this be PID? I'm honestly at my wits end and nothing seems to get rid of it please help!
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 53 minutes later
Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX

Recurrent pelvic infection needs to be evaluated. Most common cause for getting recurrent infection could be due to undiagnosed Diabetes.
Thick white vaginal discharge could be due to CANDIDIASIS, where you need to be treated with antifungal drugs.

Pain during sexual intercourse could be due to pelvic infection.

I strongly suggest you to undergo a ultrasound of pelvis to rule out any adnexal mass, or to find out any collection in your pelvis.
Get screened for diabetes, get some blood investigations like haemoglobin, WBC count(rule out infection), ESR(erythrocyte sedimentation rate).
I feel you should get a culture and sensitivity of vaginal discharge also, so that specific antibiotics can be given. I feel you should get one course of parenteral antibiotics, after discussing with your OBGY specialist.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow-ups.

If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Please do not forget to accept it.
Thank you,
Wish you good health.
Dr Arif
You can consult me again directly through my profile