Suffering from reflux weekly. Joined fitness plan and on romep tablets. Suggest some alternate solution

I suffer from reflux weekly, I have been suffering for 5yrs now and no better. My weight was 120kgs 2 yrs ago and I joined a fitness plan and at present I weigh 107kgs still after all my hard work losing this weight and watching my diet I am no better off, I was taking Romep tablets at the request of my GP I feel this is not my solution to resolve my reflux issues, I am at the end of my Tedder with this, can you advise me on any other solution to resolve or ease my suffering
Regards XXXXXX
Posted Fri, 10 Aug 2012 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 5 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
For GERD weight loss is must.
I advice you for dietary changes and regular exercises to reduce weight rather than going for weight reduction pills. The pills will aid you in decreasing the weight but it also requires you to put some efforts, that is proper diet and regular exercises.
Our body weight is determined by the amount of energy that we take in as food and the amount of energy we expend in the activities of our day.
If your weight remains constant, you are probably taking in the same amount of calories that you burn each day. If you're slowly gaining weight over time, it is likely that your caloric intake is greater than the number of calories you burn through your daily activities.
The most effective method for weight loss is reducing the number of calories you consume while increasing the number of calories you burn through physical activity.
Self motivation is the best thing rather than going for pills. I advice you some how try to curb food intake and it is possible. I also advice you to increase the work out as you have increase the energy expenditure.
For GERD i advice you to avoid taking spicy foods, avoid alcohol and smoking. Always after meals it is good to walk for 5 to 10 minutes and not to sleep immediately.
Avoid drugs such as aspirin, ibuprofen or naproxen. Take acetaminophen (Tylenol) to relieve pain. Take your medicines with plenty of water. When your doctor gives you a new medicine, remember to ask whether it will make your heartburn worse.
You may use over-the-counter antacids after meals and at bedtime. Other over-the-counter and prescription drugs can treat GERD. They work more slowly than antacids but give you longer relief. these includes Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) and H2 blockers (antagonists) they lower the amount of acid released in the stomach.
I advice you to follow these approach you should be fine and even after these if the symptoms persists i advice you to see gastroenterologist for upper GI scopy and to find the exact diagnosis.
Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.