Suffering from reflux. Diabetic and having chest pain. Taking Nexium. Suggest the diet to be taken?

Apr 2014

Hello. I have been suffering reflux for many years. I have been on various medications and I am still suffering. I am 73 and a diabetic. Now the problem has escalated and my last visit to my doctor he prescribed Motilium to take before eating. I am already taking Nexium. My chest pain has worsened and today I am desperate for some advice as I have to eat. It seems to me that there is a selection for reflux foods you can eat & different for a diabetic. I am so sick I don't know what to do anymore. XXXXXXX.
I don't know what else I am supposed to submit. please help. XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You should consider surgical options.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Sorry to hear that you are suffering so much from esophageal-reflux-disease/0000" >acid reflux.
You are taking right medicines and these are the best medicines available for this disease.
If it is not working and you have so much suffering then according to me you should think about surgical options.
Surgical procedure is known as fundoplication in which part of stomach is wrapped around gastro esophageal junction so that acid doesn't ascend to esophagus.
It is not a major operation and is done laproscopically.
You should seriously think about this and you can discuss with your doctor also.
You also need regular endoscopy because due to long standing reflux,Barrets esophagus can develop and it is precancerous condition.So,it can be avoided by regular endoscopy.

Newer treatment includes endoscopic treatment of acid reflux but is not so popular.

I presume you are already taking general measures that is taken in this disease like elevation of head end of bed, take meals 2-3 hrs before sleep and avoid taking alcohol, smoking etc.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your query.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care