Suffering from recurring hives. Any solution?

Hello sir/madam,

I am getting hives everyday since 6 months. I mean seriously.
I will send my medical reports . Just have a look at it
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 32 minutes later
With your photograph, I can definitely say, it is hives.
Actually, hives is a condition with very non-specific cause.
It is said anything under the sun including the sun can cause hives.
Here are my suggestions for you.
1. Anti histamine tablet must be taken daily and not as and when required for at least a month. Currently you are on levocetrizine, which is a H1 histamine receptor blocker. There are H 2 histamine receptors also, which must be blocked, hence ask your doctor regarding starting tab ranitidine which is H 2 blocker.

2. Diet restriction.
In most cases, hives are related to a particular diet like nuts, particular vegetable etc. You must keep a watch on what you eat and try to note if you develop hives after a particular food.

3. The next common cause is autoimmune urticaria. Here, there are anti bodies in a person’s blood, which cause hives. To treat this we do a procedure called as auto hemotherapy, where blood is drawn from a person’s vein and injected into muscles, this has given very good results. Discuss regarding this with your treating dermatologist.

Let me know if you have any other queries.
Thank you.
Follow-up: Suffering from recurring hives. Any solution? 11 hours later
Hello doctor can you tell me whether my thyroid hormone levels are ok.

And should i start thyroid hormone replacement therapy.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 3 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

I checked all your reports.

TSH (Thyroid stimulating hormone) levels are higher that means there is an element of hypothyroidism, although the T4 levels are normal.

Hypothyroidsm is one of the commonest causes of hives.

In my opinion you must start with Eltroxin (thyroid hormone supplement), this will take care of both thyroid as well as hives.