Suffering from proteus. What is it and how did I get it?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
hello doctor, my clinic physician says i'm suffering from proteus...what is it? how did i get it?
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Proteus is a bacteria

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing Healthcare magic for your query.
Proteus is a bacteria which normally resides in our intestines and causes opportunistic infections.
Opportunistic meaning they cause infection only when the patient's immunity is low.
Hence this bacteria is usually isolated from hospitalized patients.
These bacteria usually cause urinary infection and can cause sepsis in very sick patients.
I am not able to assess what kind of infection you are suffering from by your query.
It would be of great help if you could mention more details regarding your symptoms.
You can also upload reports of investigations done on the link given on the right hand side of the page.
This would help me clear your doubts efficiently.
Wishing you speedy recovery.