Ask a Urologist   »  

Suffering from prostatitis, having difficulty in urination. No relief from medication. Any treatment?

Since 5 years, I am suffering from postatitis, having difficulties in urination flow. Two years back, I had done cystoscopy and biopsy (reports are attached herewith for you reference). I was taking tamlet 2mg tab but now stopped & taking ayurvedic treatment. But No Luck.
Kindly suggest result oriented treatment on prostatitis.
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
I have gone through all the reports.
Diagnosis of prostatitis is by excluding common problems causing similar symptoms like cystitis, tuberculosis and cancer.
They have been ruled out and hence a diagnosis of prostatitis is obtained.
This is not a killer disease and hence there should be no serious worry.
Things that could be of help are.
1. Tamsulosin 4 mg.
2. Muscle relaxants like chlorzoxazone.
3. Mild anti- anxiety agents at night, like ALPRAZOLAM.
4. Laxatives.
Since no single treatment is effective, u need to try a combination.
To improve urine flow, u may also use BETHENACHOL.
Speak to your doctor on all these issues, get examined, get the required prescription and get well soon.

Best regards
Follow-up: Suffering from prostatitis, having difficulty in urination. No relief from medication. Any treatment? 1 hour later
Dear Doctor,
Thanks for your swift reply.

Please suggest combination with duration to be taken along with side effects of the same.

What all other investigation or procedures to do be done to get rid of the above symptoms disorder.
Expecting your result oriented advise.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 45 minutes later
Welcome back.
Tests required are
1. Uroflowmetry.
2. Semen culture ans antibiotics based on the culture tests for one month at-least.

1. Frequent and regular sex would be of benefit.
2. You need to take all the 4 medicines i had suggested in the first reply for about one month, see the results of the tests and decide further treatment. Side effects wont be worrisome. One thing of mention is that tamsulosin may cause retrograde ejaculation.
Best regards